Masonry aqueduct for the water supply of the town of Larnaca
Alternative Title:Πέτρινο υδραγωγείο για υδροδότηση της πόλης της Λάρνακας
Description:During the Turkish domination (1571-1878 A.D.), the Turks found organised towns and advanced agriculture. They misappropriated the already existing properties that they found and they never felt that they needed to be creative. On the contrary, they destroyed any of those works, which were of no use to them, or they left them without maintenance and they were eventually ruined with the passing of time. The only constructive work they carried out on a private basis was the increase of the
laoumia on certain "timaria", which were then
turned into "tsiflikia". No studies or future projections were taken into consideration for the different works they carried out.
Just before the British occupation in 1878, Professor Gaudry of the Paris University visited Cyprus and became the first to make a description of the geology of Cyprus.
Source:Water Development Department of Cyprus ArchiveΑρχείο Τμήματος Αναπτύξεως Υδάτων Κύπρου"Development of water resources in Cyprus -A historical review" , Ministry of Agriculture Rural Development and Environment (Republic of Cyprus), Water Development Department, 2003
Publisher:Library of Cyprus University of TechnologyDigital Heritage Research Lab of Cyprus University of Technology
Item Identification:WDD_CY (7)
Απαγορεύεται η δημοσίευση ή αναπαραγωγή, ηλεκτρονική ή άλλη χωρίς τη γραπτή συγκατάθεση του δημιουργού.
Is part of:
Ministry of Agriculture Rural Development and Environment (Republic of Cyprus), Water Development Department and Υπουργείο Γεωργίας, Αγροτικής Ανάπτυξης και Περιβάλλοντος (Κυπριακή Δημοκρατία), Τμήμα Αναπτύξεως Υδάτων, “Masonry aqueduct for the water supply of the town of Larnaca,” Αψίδα, accessed December 6, 2021, https://apsida.cut.ac.cy/items/show/32370.