Αψίδα

Entrance of stone built laoumi

Dublin Core

Title

Entrance of stone built laoumi

Alternative Title

Είσοδος πετρόκτιστου λαουμιού

Description

Government's water policy:
During the period of Frankish and Venetian domination (1192-1489 A.D. and 1489-1571 A.D. respectively) the towns of Cyprus were surrounded by walls and well fortified. The conquerors of the island solved the problem of lack of potable water supplies with a systematic channelling and underground storage of rainwater. In order to eliminate loss of water during the delivery, earthen conveyors and masonry underground channels were used..Moreover, for water supply purposes, but mainly for irrigation, they exploited, modified and increased the systems of chain of wells, the so-called "Laoumia". When water did not reach the surface they used the "alakati", a turning wheel, which was turned around by an animal. This way, they were drawing water to the surface and irrigated their private farms, the "Timaria".

Source

Water Development Department of Cyprus Archive
Αρχείο Τμήματος Αναπτύξεως Υδάτων Κύπρου
"Development of water resources in Cyprus -A historical review" , Ministry of Agriculture Rural Development and Environment (Republic of Cyprus), Water Development Department, 2003

Publisher

Library of Cyprus University of Technology
Digital Heritage Research Lab of Cyprus University of Technology

Rights

Απαγορεύεται η δημοσίευση ή αναπαραγωγή, ηλεκτρονική ή άλλη χωρίς τη γραπτή συγκατάθεση του δημιουργού.

Format

JPG

Type

Identifier

WDD_CY (4)

Coverage

35.172984, 33.381615

Files

Citation

Ministry of Agriculture Rural Development and Environment (Republic of Cyprus), Water Development Department and Υπουργείο Γεωργίας, Αγροτικής Ανάπτυξης και Περιβάλλοντος (Κυπριακή Δημοκρατία), Τμήμα Αναπτύξεως Υδάτων, “Entrance of stone built laoumi,” Αψίδα, accessed May 21, 2024, https://apsida.cut.ac.cy/items/show/32367.