In 1210 A.D. Kolossi estate was handed to the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem. Louis de Magnac Grand Commander of Cyprus built the castle in 1454. The Knights cultivated corn, vines, sugar cane and cotton and their Commandaria wine, famous to this day, was exported all over Europe, and was drunk by the Plantagenet Kings of England. At the beginning of the 16th century Kolossi, with the consent of the Order, passed into possession of the Cornaro family. The first of the new owners was Cardinal Marco Cornaro, brother of Caterina Cornaro, last Queen of Cyprus, and in whose family it remained until the loss of the property after the Turkish conquest of 1570. The castle commands a superb view of the countryside and the salt lake of Limassol. (R.Gunnis, Historic Cyprus)


Alternative Title:

Abstract:

Source:

Cyprus Post, Republic of Cyprus
Κυπριακά Ταχυδρομεία, Κυπριακή Δημοκρατία

Publisher:

Library of Cyprus University of Technology
Digital Heritage Research Lab of Cyprus University of Technology

Contributor :

Designer: A. Tassos

Type:

Image

Format:

TIFF

Item Identification:

1978-EUROPA-75M

Rights:

Απαγορεύεται η δημοσίευση ή αναπαραγωγή, ηλεκτρονική ή άλλη χωρίς τη γραπτή συγκατάθεση του δημιουργού.

Citation

Cyprus Post, Republic of Cyprus and Κυπριακά Ταχυδρομεία, Κυπριακή Δημοκρατία , “Kolossi Castle, EUROPA Issue Architecture, Republic of Cyprus ,” Αψίδα, accessed September 19, 2019, https://apsida.cut.ac.cy/items/show/13039.

Geolocation