Alternative Title:

Εμπρόσθια πλευρά καρτ-ποστάλ που απεικονίζει Κύπριους μπροστά απο το κάστρο Κολοσσίου μαζί με την οπίσθια όψη του, η οποία φέρει προσωπικό μήνυμα απο τον αποστολέα στον παραλήπτη

Description:

Kolossi castle is a medieval castle built in the 15th century A.D. It is also known as Koulas. The donjon lies in the vicinity of the village of the same name in the south-western outskirts of Limassol. The plain on which the castle is located is one of the agriculturally richest regions of the island from which the renowned Commandaria comes from. The order of Saint John, the owners of the castle, initiated the production of the wine which reached even north-European royal courts. The castle constitutes one of the most important building works of the Frankish period (A.D. 1191-1489). Its services were multi-faceted throughout the centuries including being: the main residence of the Grand Commander and the administrative centre of the Order; the estates’ nucleus for the production of sugar and other products of the region; the domination symbol of the Hospitallers; a storage house; water features; and viewpoints. Before the erection of the current castle, a quadrangular curtain wall with supporting rooms on the west side, related to the refinement of sugar, must occupied the area. However, the keep which one can see today was built in the 1450s by Louis de Magnac, the General Commander of the Hospitallers in Cyprus. The fortress is an enormous square, well-built, three-story edifice, built from local limestone ashlar blocks. The castle is one of the most photographed monuments, adorning postcards, postage stamps, gravures and other media. Today the castle is open to the public to visit as a sightseeing.
Το κάστρο Κολοσσίου είναι Μεσαιωνικό φρούριο το οποίο χρονολογείται στον 15ο αιώνα μ.Χ. και οικοδομήθηκε με χορηγία του Louis de Magnac, Μεγάλου Μαγίστρου του Τάγματος των Ιωαννιτών Ιπποτών. Το φρούριο ονομάζεται και Κούλας και βρίσκεται σε μια από τις πιο εύφορες πεδιάδες του νησιού, στα νοτιο-δυτικά της πόλης της Λεμεσού στην οποία έδρευε η Commanderie – Ανώτατη Στρατιωτική Διοίκηση - των Ιωαννιτών Ιπποτών, από την οποία εξέλαβε και το όνομά του το περίφημο κρασί Κουμανταρία.
Το κάστρο αποτελεί ένα από τα πιο σημαντικά οικοδομήματα της Φραγκικής περιόδου (A.D. 1191-1489) και κατά τη διάρκεια των αιώνων είχε αρκετές και διαφορετικές χρήσεις όπως η κύρια κατοικία του Μεγάλου Μαγίστρου και το διοικητικό κέντρο του Τάγματος, κέντρο παραγωγής ζάχαρης και άλλων προϊόντων της περιοχής, σύμβολο κυριαρχίας των Ιωαννιτών Ιπποτών, αποθηκευτικοί χώροι, δεξαμενές νερού και παρατηρητήριο.
Το κάστρο αποτελεί ένα απο τα πιο πολυφωτογραφημένα μνημεία του νησιού, διακοσμώντας καρτ-ποστάλ, γραμματόσημα, γκραβούρες και άλλα μέσα. Σήμερα το κάστρο είναι ανοικτό προς επίσκεψη από το κοινό.


Citation

Sofoklis Aipavlitis and Σοφοκλής Αϊπαυλίτης, “Postcard, front side: Cypriot people in front of Kolossi Castle, back side: a message of the sender to the recipient,” Αψίδα, accessed October 26, 2020, https://apsida.cut.ac.cy/items/show/37305.