The Limassol castle consists of a palimpsest of structures. On the exact place a 13th-century church was gradually transformed into the fort we see today. However, until its final form, edifices of distinct roles occupied the site. In chronological order these are a Byzantine basilica, the aforementioned Gothic church, a defensive tower (réduit), storage cellars, prison cells, a police station and finally an archaeological site and museum in recent times. The continuous transition of the role of buildings on the site mirror the political upheaval of Cyprus' history throughout the centuries. Due to the fact that the castle area operates as a focal point of Limassol town in a manifold way, attracted the interest of photographers in the past century.

Collection


Paphos castle has been a declared Ancient Monument since 1935 and a UNESCO World Heritage List monument, along with other monuments of the archaeological park of Paphos, since 1980. It is located in the harbour area of Paphos town and its main role was to control the gateway of the port and provide defence against any hostile troops . Most scholars agree upon the mid-/late-14th century as its date of erection by the Frankish ruling family of the Lusignans, despite there being no solid and reliable testimonies regarding any fortification works carried out between the earthquake of 1222 and the invasion of the Genoese in 1373. Its importance lies in the symbolic meaning as the most prominent and dominant archaeological monument of Paphos and therefore it is considered a landmark for tourists and the town itself.
The castle adorns several types of media such as photographs, postcards, postage stamps and gravures. Today the castle is open to the public to visit as a sightseeing.

Collection


Kolossi castle is a medieval castle built in the 15th century A.D. It is also known as Koulas. The donjon lies in the vicinity of the village of the same name in the south-western outskirts of Limassol. The plain on which the castle is located is one of the agriculturally richest regions of the island from which the renowned Commandaria comes from. The order of Saint John, the owners of the castle, initiated the production of the wine which reached even north-European royal courts. The castle constitutes one of the most important building works of the Frankish period (A.D. 1191-1489). Its services were multi-faceted throughout the centuries including being: the main residence of the Grand Commander and the administrative centre of the Order; the estates’ nucleus for the production of sugar and other products of the region; the domination symbol of the Hospitallers; a storage house; water features; and viewpoints. Before the erection of the current castle, a quadrangular curtain wall with supporting rooms on the west side, related to the refinement of sugar, must occupied the area. However, the keep which one can see today was built in the 1450s by Louis de Magnac, the General Commander of the Hospitallers in Cyprus. The fortress is an enormous square, well-built, three-story edifice, built from local limestone ashlar blocks. The castle is one of the most photographed monuments, adorning postcards, postage stamps, gravures and other media. Today the castle is open to the public to visit as a sightseeing.

Collection


Kolossi castle is a medieval castle built in the 15th century A.D. It is also known as Koulas. The donjon lies in the vicinity of the village of the same name in the south-western outskirts of Limassol. The plain on which the castle is located is one of the agriculturally richest regions of the island from which the renowned Commandaria comes from. The order of Saint John, the owners of the castle, initiated the production of the wine which reached even north-European royal courts. The castle constitutes one of the most important building works of the Frankish period (A.D. 1191-1489). Its services were multi-faceted throughout the centuries including being: the main residence of the Grand Commander and the administrative centre of the Order; the estates’ nucleus for the production of sugar and other products of the region; the domination symbol of the Hospitallers; a storage house; water features; and viewpoints. Before the erection of the current castle, a quadrangular curtain wall with supporting rooms on the west side, related to the refinement of sugar, must occupied the area. However, the keep which one can see today was built in the 1450s by Louis de Magnac, the General Commander of the Hospitallers in Cyprus. The fortress is an enormous square, well-built, three-story edifice, built from local limestone ashlar blocks. The castle is one of the most photographed monuments, adorning postcards, postage stamps, gravures and other media. Today the castle is open to the public to visit as a sightseeing.

Collection


Kolossi castle is a medieval castle built in the 15th century A.D. It is also known as Koulas. The donjon lies in the vicinity of the village of the same name in the south-western outskirts of Limassol. The plain on which the castle is located is one of the agriculturally richest regions of the island from which the renowned Commandaria comes from. The order of Saint John, the owners of the castle, initiated the production of the wine which reached even north-European royal courts. The castle constitutes one of the most important building works of the Frankish period (A.D. 1191-1489). Its services were multi-faceted throughout the centuries including being: the main residence of the Grand Commander and the administrative centre of the Order; the estates’ nucleus for the production of sugar and other products of the region; the domination symbol of the Hospitallers; a storage house; water features; and viewpoints. Before the erection of the current castle, a quadrangular curtain wall with supporting rooms on the west side, related to the refinement of sugar, must occupied the area. However, the keep which one can see today was built in the 1450s by Louis de Magnac, the General Commander of the Hospitallers in Cyprus. The fortress is an enormous square, well-built, three-story edifice, built from local limestone ashlar blocks. The castle is one of the most photographed monuments, adorning postcards, postage stamps, gravures and other media. Today the castle is open to the public to visit as a sightseeing.

Collection


Kolossi castle is a medieval castle built in the 15th century A.D. It is also known as Koulas. The donjon lies in the vicinity of the village of the same name in the south-western outskirts of Limassol. The plain on which the castle is located is one of the agriculturally richest regions of the island from which the renowned Commandaria comes from. The order of Saint John, the owners of the castle, initiated the production of the wine which reached even north-European royal courts. The castle constitutes one of the most important building works of the Frankish period (A.D. 1191-1489). Its services were multi-faceted throughout the centuries including being: the main residence of the Grand Commander and the administrative centre of the Order; the estates’ nucleus for the production of sugar and other products of the region; the domination symbol of the Hospitallers; a storage house; water features; and viewpoints. Before the erection of the current castle, a quadrangular curtain wall with supporting rooms on the west side, related to the refinement of sugar, must occupied the area. However, the keep which one can see today was built in the 1450s by Louis de Magnac, the General Commander of the Hospitallers in Cyprus. The fortress is an enormous square, well-built, three-story edifice, built from local limestone ashlar blocks. The castle is one of the most photographed monuments, adorning postcards, postage stamps, gravures and other media. Today the castle is open to the public to visit as a sightseeing.

Collection


Paphos castle has been a declared Ancient Monument since 1935 and a UNESCO World Heritage List monument, along with other monuments of the archaeological park of Paphos, since 1980. It is located in the harbour area of Paphos town and its main role was to control the gateway of the port and provide defence against any hostile troops . Most scholars agree upon the mid-/late-14th century as its date of erection by the Frankish ruling family of the Lusignans, despite there being no solid and reliable testimonies regarding any fortification works carried out between the earthquake of 1222 and the invasion of the Genoese in 1373. Its importance lies in the symbolic meaning as the most prominent and dominant archaeological monument of Paphos and therefore it is considered a landmark for tourists and the town itself.
The castle adorns several types of media such as photographs, postcards, postage stamps and gravures. Today the castle is open to the public to visit as a sightseeing.

Collection


Paphos castle has been a declared Ancient Monument since 1935 and a UNESCO World Heritage List monument, along with other monuments of the archaeological park of Paphos, since 1980. It is located in the harbour area of Paphos town and its main role was to control the gateway of the port and provide defence against any hostile troops . Most scholars agree upon the mid-/late-14th century as its date of erection by the Frankish ruling family of the Lusignans, despite there being no solid and reliable testimonies regarding any fortification works carried out between the earthquake of 1222 and the invasion of the Genoese in 1373. Its importance lies in the symbolic meaning as the most prominent and dominant archaeological monument of Paphos and therefore it is considered a landmark for tourists and the town itself.
The castle adorns several types of media such as photographs, postcards, postage stamps and gravures. Today the castle is open to the public to visit as a sightseeing.

Collection


Paphos castle has been a declared Ancient Monument since 1935 and a UNESCO World Heritage List monument, along with other monuments of the archaeological park of Paphos, since 1980. It is located in the harbour area of Paphos town and its main role was to control the gateway of the port and provide defence against any hostile troops . Most scholars agree upon the mid-/late-14th century as its date of erection by the Frankish ruling family of the Lusignans, despite there being no solid and reliable testimonies regarding any fortification works carried out between the earthquake of 1222 and the invasion of the Genoese in 1373. Its importance lies in the symbolic meaning as the most prominent and dominant archaeological monument of Paphos and therefore it is considered a landmark for tourists and the town itself.
The castle adorns several types of media such as photographs, postcards, postage stamps and gravures. Today the castle is open to the public to visit as a sightseeing.

Collection


The Limassol castle consists of a palimpsest of structures. On the exact place a 13th-century church was gradually transformed into the fort we see today. However, until its final form, edifices of distinct roles occupied the site. In chronological order these are a Byzantine basilica, the aforementioned church, a defensive tower (réduit), storage cellars, prison cells, a police station and finally a monument and museum in recent times. The continuous transition of the role of buildings on the site mirror the political upheaval of Cyprus' history throughout the centuries.

Collection