The church of Panagia Phorbiotissa, better known as Panagia of Asinou, is situated in the north foothills of the Troodos mountain range. It is built on the east bank of a stream, three kilometers south of the village of Nikitari. In 1985 it was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List, which includes nine other painted Byzantine churches of the Troodos range. Panagia Forbiotissa used to be the katholicon (monastery church) of the Monastery of Forbion, as its name implies. According to the dedicatory inscription above its south entrance, which is dated to 1105/6, the church was built with the donation of Magistros Nikephoros Ischyrios, who subsequently became a monk with the name Nikolaos. The monastery was founded in 1099 and it functioned until the end of the 18th century, when it was abandoned. The church consists of two parts: the vaulted single-aisled nave and the narthex, which is a later addition belonging to the second half of the 12th century. The narthex with its two semi-circular apses belongs to a type directly influenced by Constantinople. Already from the 12th century a steep-pitched timber roof, covered with flat tiles, sheltered the church. Today no traces of the rest of the monastic buildings survive.

Files:

Main Floor Plan PDF| DWG | PCP|DWG
Site Plan PDF| DWG | PCP| DWG
East Elevation - North Elevation PDF| DWG | PCP|DWG|DWG
South Elevation - North Elevation PDF| DWG | PCP|DWG|DWG
Section 1 - Section 2 PDF| DWG | PCP|DWG|DWG
Section 3-Section 4-Section 5-Section 6 PDF| DWG | PCP|DWG|DWG|DWG|DWG
Section 7-Section 8-Section 9-Section 10 PDF| DWG | PCP|DWG|DWG|DWG|DWG
3D View 1 PDF| DWG | PCP| DWG
3D View 2 PDF| DWG | PCP| DWG
3D View 2 PDF| DWG | PCP| DWG
3D View 4 PDF| DWG | PCP| DWG
3D Axonometric PDF| DWG | PCP| DWG
Finite Element Simulation Link
Asinou Materials Link
Monument Frescos
Longitudinal section in the church and the narthex, to the north (1-1)
Longitudinal section in the church and narthex, to the south (2-2)
Transverse section in the sanctuary to the east (3-3)
Transverse section in the sanctuary to the west (4-4)
Transverse section in the nave (central part) to the east (5-5)
Transverse section in the nave (central part) to the west (6-6)
Transverse section in the nave (western part) to the east (7-7)
Transverse section in the nave (western part) to the west (8-8)
Narthex's transverse section to the east (9-9)
Transverse section in the narthex to the west (10-10)

 


Date:

Alternative Title:

Εκκλησία της Παναγίας της Ασίνου

Abstract:

Source:

Digital Heritage Research Lab of Cyprus University of Technology

Publisher:

Digital Heritage Research Lab of Cyprus University of Technology
Library of Cyprus University of Technology

Contributor :

Digital Heritage Research Lab of Cyprus University of Technology

Type:

Image

Format:

JPG, 3D, PDF

Item Identification:

ASCH001

Rights:

Απαγορεύεται η δημοσίευση ή αναπαραγωγή, ηλεκτρονική ή άλλη χωρίς τη γραπτή συγκατάθεση του δημιουργού.

Citation

Ioannides, Marinos, “Church of Panagia of Asinou,” Αψίδα, accessed September 20, 2019, https://apsida.cut.ac.cy/items/show/45036.

Geolocation