The church of Panagia Phorbiotissa, better known as Panagia of Asinou, is situated in the north foothills of the Troodos mountain range. It is built on the east bank of a stream, three kilometers south of the village of Nikitari. In 1985 it was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List, which includes nine other painted Byzantine churches of the Troodos range. Panagia Forbiotissa used to be the katholicon (monastery church) of the Monastery of Forbion, as its name implies. According to the dedicatory inscription above its south entrance, which is dated to 1105/6, the church was built with the donation of Magistros Nikephoros Ischyrios, who subsequently became a monk with the name Nikolaos. The monastery was founded in 1099 and it functioned until the end of the 18th century, when it was abandoned. The church consists of two parts: the vaulted single-aisled nave and the narthex, which is a later addition belonging to the second half of the 12th century. The narthex with its two semi-circular apses belongs to a type directly influenced by Constantinople. Already from the 12th century a steep-pitched timber roof, covered with flat tiles, sheltered the church. Today no traces of the rest of the monastic buildings survive.

Files:

Main Floor Plan PDF| DWG | PCP|DWG
Site Plan PDF| DWG | PCP| DWG
East Elevation - North Elevation PDF| DWG | PCP|DWG|DWG
South Elevation - North Elevation PDF| DWG | PCP|DWG|DWG
Section 1 - Section 2 PDF| DWG | PCP|DWG|DWG
Section 3-Section 4-Section 5-Section 6 PDF| DWG | PCP|DWG|DWG|DWG|DWG
Section 7-Section 8-Section 9-Section 10 PDF| DWG | PCP|DWG|DWG|DWG|DWG
3D View 1 PDF| DWG | PCP| DWG
3D View 2 PDF| DWG | PCP| DWG
3D View 2 PDF| DWG | PCP| DWG
3D View 4 PDF| DWG | PCP| DWG
3D Axonometric PDF| DWG | PCP| DWG
Finite Element Simulation Link
Asinou Materials Link
Monument Frescos
Longitudinal section in the church and the narthex, to the north (1-1)
Longitudinal section in the church and narthex, to the south (2-2)
Transverse section in the sanctuary to the east (3-3)
Transverse section in the sanctuary to the west (4-4)
Transverse section in the nave (central part) to the east (5-5)
Transverse section in the nave (central part) to the west (6-6)
Transverse section in the nave (western part) to the east (7-7)
Transverse section in the nave (western part) to the west (8-8)
Narthex's transverse section to the east (9-9)
Transverse section in the narthex to the west (10-10)

 

Collection


Βρακάς, ο Γιαννής Χ’’Λούκα (Κίττακας) - Παντελής Αναστάση. Δεξιά, Γεώργιος Χρήστου (Χρηστούδι)- Θεμιστοκλής Παναγή.

Η εκκλησία του Αγίου Δημητρίου, μετά την εισβολή του 1974, μετετράπη από τους κατακτητές σε Τζαμί. Σήμερα έχει εγκαταλειφθεί στο έλεος του χρόνου.

Η εκκλησία του Αγίου Δημητρίου, μετά την εισβολή του 1974, μετετράπη από τους κατακτητές σε Τζαμί. Σήμερα έχει εγκαταλειφθεί στο έλεος του χρόνου.

Το εικονοστάσι της εκκλησίας του Αγίου Δημητρίου ντυμένο στα μαύρα την Μεγάλη Παρασκευή.

Η ασημένια εικόνα του Αγίου Δημητρίου όπου σήμερα βρίσκεται στον Ιερό Ναό Αγίου Δημητρίου στην Ακρόπολη, Λευκωσία.

Είναι η κύρια εκκλησία του Λεοναρίσσου, κτισμένη σχεδόν στο μέσο του χωριού. Στον ίδιο χώρο υπήρχε προηγουμένως άλλη μικρή εκκλησία, αφιερωμένη και αυτή στον Αγιο Δημήτριο. Δεν υπάρχουν γραπτές πηγές, που να μαρτυρούν το πότε ακριβώς κτίστηκαν οι δύο εκκλησίες. Η νέα εκκλησία πιθανόν να κτίστηκε τη δεκαετία του 1910. Είναι νεογοτθικού ρυθμού με σκαλιστό ψηλό καμπαναριό, έργο περίφημων Καϊμακλιωτών λιθοξόων. Μετά την εισβολή του 1974, έχει λεηλατηθεί και μετατραπεί σε αποθήκη (φωτ. 21 0κτωβρίου 2007)

Το μικρό αυτό καμαροσκέπαστο εκκλησάκι βρίσκεται στο κέντρο του χωριού. Πιθανόν να κτίστηκε κατά τα τέλη του 19ου αιώνα (καμαροσκεπής ρυθμός, που χρησιμοποιήθηκε ευρέως μεταξύ 16ου και 18ου ου αιώνα). Σήμερα δεν υπάρχει. Αρχικά λεηλατήθηκε και αργότερα κατεδαφίστηκε το 1993 από τους Τούρκους εποίκους.