Built in 890 by Byzantine Emperor Leo VI, the Wise, on the resting place of St. Lazarus (Agios Lazaros) the resurrected friend of Christ. St. Lazarus arrived in ancient Kition on 33 AD becoming its first Bishop and Patron Saint. His tomb lies under the sanctuary and can be visited. In Frankish times (13th-16th centuries) a stone build covered shed (stoa) of Gothic style was added on its south side. The 3 imposing domes of this Orthodox Basilica Church were destroyed with the original belltower probably in the first years of the Ottoman rule (1571 AD), but the bell-tower was rebuild in a different style in 1857 and after the Ottomans allowed bell towers on Cyprus churches again.


Date:

None recorded.

Alternative Title:

Kαμπαναριό της Εκκλησίας Αγίου Λαζάρου στη Λάρνακα

Abstract:

Source:

Cyprus Tourism Organisation
Κυπριακός Οργανισμός Τουρισμού

Publisher:

Library of Cyprus University of Technology
Digital Heritage Research Lab of Cyprus University of Technology

Contributor :

Cyprus Tourism Organisation
Κυπριακός Οργανισμός Τουρισμού

Type:

Image

Format:

JPG

Item Identification:

Bell_tower_1_Agios_Lazaros_Church_Larnaka_lrg

Rights:

Απαγορεύεται η δημοσίευση ή αναπαραγωγή, ηλεκτρονική ή άλλη χωρίς τη γραπτή συγκατάθεση του δημιουργού.

Citation

Cyprus Tourism Organisation and Κυπριακός Οργανισμός Τουρισμού, “Bell tower at Saint Lazarus Church in Larnaca ,” Αψίδα, accessed October 16, 2019, https://apsida.cut.ac.cy/items/show/18558.

Geolocation