Browse Items (4 items total)
Built in 890 by Byzantine Emperor Leo VI, the Wise, on the resting place of St. Lazarus (Agios Lazaros) the resurrected friend of Christ. St. Lazarus arrived in ancient Kition on 33 AD becoming its first Bishop and Patron Saint. His tomb lies under the sanctuary and can be visited. In Frankish times (13th-16th centuries) a stone build covered shed (stoa) of Gothic style was added on its south side. The 3 imposing domes of this Orthodox Basilica Church were destroyed with the original belltower probably in the first years of the Ottoman rule (1571 AD), but the bell-tower was rebuild in a different style in 1857 and after the Ottomans allowed bell towers on Cyprus churches again.
The magnificent 9th century stone church of Saint Lazarus was built by Byzantine Emperor Leo VI in the 9th century and restored in the 17th century. The church is one of the most remarkable examples of Byzantine architecture in Cyprus. Saint Lazarus came to Cyprus after being resurrected by Jesus, was ordained as Bishop of Kition by the Apostles Barnabas and Paul and lived here for 30 years. His tomb can be seen under the sanctuary.The iconostasis is a superb example of baroque woodcarving. Eight days before Easter a procession is held during which St. Lazarus’ icon is carried through the streets of Larnaca. Next to the church is the Ecclesiastical Museum.