Christmas, Commemorative Issue
Τhe mural depicting the Birth of Christ comes from the Cathedral of Agios John the Theologian, in Lefkosia, the foundation stone of which was laid on 30th April 1662 by Archbishop Niceforos. The church is built in an area where an earlier monastery existed during the Frankish Period (1192-1489) and records indicate that it existed in 1345.
The mural, situated after the second transverse arch,is in the first row of the Christological cycle that begins with the Annunciation and followed by the Nativity, and the Circumcision and ends in the fourth row with the Flagellation and the Via Crusis.(Vassilia Gregoriou, A Guide to St. John’s Cathedral, Lefkosia)
Source:Cyprus Post, Republic of Cyprus
Κυπριακά Ταχυδρομεία, Κυπριακή Δημοκρατία