The church of Panagia Phorbiotissa, better known as Panagia of Asinou, is situated in the north foothills of the Troodos mountain range. It is built on the east bank of a stream, three kilometers south of the village of Nikitari. In 1985 it was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List, which includes nine other painted Byzantine churches of the Troodos range. Panagia Forbiotissa used to be the katholicon (monastery church) of the Monastery of Forbion, as its name implies. According to the dedicatory inscription above its south entrance, which is dated to 1105/6, the church was built with the donation of Magistros Nikephoros Ischyrios, who subsequently became a monk with the name Nikolaos. The monastery was founded in 1099 and it functioned until the end of the 18th century, when it was abandoned. The church consists of two parts: the vaulted single-aisled nave and the narthex, which is a later addition belonging to the second half of the 12th century. The narthex with its two semi-circular apses belongs to a type directly influenced by Constantinople. Already from the 12th century a steep-pitched timber roof, covered with flat tiles, sheltered the church. Today no traces of the rest of the monastic buildings survive

Collection


The Christmas triptych stamp with a religious content emanates from an icon – triptych (1764) painted in the hagiographic workshop of the Monastery of Agios Irakleidios in Politiko and belongs to the medieval church of Our Lady (Panagia) Chryseleousa Strovolos. On the reverse side of the side panels appear the signs of the Passion (Arma Christi) while in the central part of the triptych, the two-layered representation depicts the Panagia Kykkotissa and St. Luke holding a painting and a painting bowl, which refer to the tradition that the icon of Panagia of Kykkos is his own work.
The depiction of the impressive triple masted sailing boat infers the protection of ships and seafarers by Panagia Kykkotissa or is a reminder of the ownership of the boat by the monastery. The panel on the left hand side depicts the military St. Minas the Egyptian and the panel on the right hand side depicts St. Spyridon bishop of Trimythous of Cyprus.

Collection


Christmas is probably the most special and magical time of year for all of us, but especially for children.
The 64-cent stamp depicts a letter to Santa Claus. Children write their letters early asking Santa to bring them the gift they want. The Cyprus Post Office helps Santa Claus communicate with the children by forwarding their letters and the letters that he sends them with much love!
The 34 cent stamps depict one of the children’s magical moments, the opening of gifts they have been waiting for Santa Claus to place under the Christmas tree.

Collection


This year’s common theme adopted by member states of the Postal Union for the Mediterranean “Euromed” is “Trees of the Mediterranean.
Trees are perennial sentient plants without which mankind will cease to exist. Thousands of years ago Cyprus was famous for the abundance of its trees which were cut down for smelting copper and shipbuilding.
The Mediterranean region is home to a great variety of fruit trees such as the carob, the olive and orange trees. The olive tree can live for thousands of years. Other common trees of the Mediterranean are the pine, palm and cedar trees.
The stamp depicts a composite tree featuring the leaves of the olive and pine trees and the fruits of the carob and orange trees.

Collection


The United Nations General Assembly at its 70th session proclaimed 2017 as the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development.
The Universal Postal Union invited its members to engage in this global celebration by issuing a commemorative stamp. Cyprus Post’s contribution will enhance the work of the United Nations in advancing the role of tourism in building a more sustainable future for all, while stressing the important link between tourism and philately.
Whilst philately is in decline the world over, tourism is on an unprecedented rise and Cyprus has benefitted greatly. This expansion in tourism gives postal administrations the opportunity to promote their respective countries by having beautiful and attractive stamps available for use by tourists when they send postcards or letters back home or to friends.
A well designed stamp that attracts the eye of the recipient of any mail, may well arouse in him or her the desire to learn more about the country, its stamp issues or even its history.

Collection


The theme of this year’s series “EUROPA” which is selected by the European Postal Organisation (PostEurop) and is common to all the organization’s member states, is “ Castles”. The series “Europa 2017” is composed of two stamps which depict castles of Cyprus.
The stamp of 41 cent stamp depicts the Castle of Larnaka and its present day form. It was originally built by the Ottomans in 1625, replacing an older Lusignan castle which had been damaged. The castle was used as a military garrison residence and to protect the neighboring anchorage.
The 64 cent stamp depicts the castle of Pafos which was originally built in the 13th century by the Lusignans and was destroyed shortly before the expected invasion of the Ottomans in 1570. Part of this castle was restored by the Ottomans in 1589 thus taking its present form.

Collection


50 years of the Cyprus Medical Association

The Cyprus Medical Association was established by law in 1967. Doctors who practice medicine on the island are obliged to be registered as members of the Association. At present it has about 3250 members.

The Association safeguards the rights of its members, promotes the continuous upgrading of the quality of health services and, through constructive intervention, benefits both patients and society in general.

It contributes to scientific, social and cultural life by organising conferences, meetings, events and activities

The Cyprus Medical Association provides advice and facilities to its members with regard to their relationship and cooperation with the State, the Authorities and other organisations.

It cooperates with other national and international bodies in order to achieve its goals.

60 Years of Cyprus Television
Cyprus television first broadcast in 1957. The development of Cyprus television and radio began in 1960, with the establishment of the Republic of Cyprus. During this period it changed its name from the Cyprus Broadcasting Service to the Cyprus Broadcasting Corporation (CyBC) and has operated as a semi-governmental organisation since then.
A refreshing and creative spirit has marked the course of CyBC since independence.
Public Broadcasting evolved rapidly from its early days, with ever-increasing numbers of programmes, creative staffing and the renewal of transmitters and relay stations.
From the first day that CyBC started its operations it has recorded the daily life of the Cypriot people and has handled all crises with the seriousness and responsibility that its role demands, especially that of 1974.


100 Years of the Lions
The Lions (Liberty, Intelligence, Our Nation’s Safety), the international association of clubs, is the largest organisation of volunteers in the world, providing services to people and society. For the past 100 years (1917-2017), under their slogan ‘WE SERVE’, the organisation has offered its services, free of political, religious, racial or other creeds and interests. It is represented in the United Nations and all charitable organisations. There are 46,000 Clubs with 1.400.000 members in 202 countries.

Key pillars of contribution are the environment, youth, vision and poverty. Through countless programmes, they plant thousands of hectares of trees, prevent blindness in millions of people, help to cure and fight diseases and dependencies and build schools and hospitals.

Collection