In the square of the Archbishopric, Archbishop Kyprianos founded a school in 1812, which he dedicated to the Holy Virgin. The first high school on the island, the Pancyprian Gymnasium was founded there in 1893. The gymnasium, which still operates today, was a nursery of knowledge, education and ethos; a pillar of support during difficult years of Ottoman rule; a point of reference during the turbulent years of British rule and a great school during the island ’s history.
(Extract from: A.G. Marangou, Nicosia, a special capital).


Alternative Title:

Abstarct:

Source:

Cyprus Post, Republic of Cyprus
Κυπριακά Ταχυδρομεία, Κυπριακή Δημοκρατία

Publisher:

Library of Cyprus University of Technology
Digital Heritage Research Lab of Cyprus University of Technology

Contributor :

Designer: A. Ladommatos

Type:

Image

Format:

TIFF

Item Identification:

1993-PANC GYMN-10C

Rights:

Απαγορεύεται η δημοσίευση ή αναπαραγωγή, ηλεκτρονική ή άλλη χωρίς τη γραπτή συγκατάθεση του δημιουργού.

Relation:

www.cypruspost.gov.cy

Is part of:


Citation

Cyprus Post, Republic of Cyprus and Κυπριακά Ταχυδρομεία, Κυπριακή Δημοκρατία, “Pancyprian Gymnasium, Centenary of the Pancyprian Gymnasium, Republic of Cyprus,” Αψίδα, accessed May 27, 2020, https://apsida.cut.ac.cy/items/show/13322.

Geolocation