Kolossi castle is a medieval castle built in the 15th century A.D. It is also known as Koulas. The donjon lies in the vicinity of the village of the same name in the south-western outskirts of Limassol. The plain on which the castle is located is one of the agriculturally richest regions of the island from which the renowned Commandaria comes from. The order of Saint John, the owners of the castle, initiated the production of the wine which reached even north-European royal courts. The castle constitutes one of the most important building works of the Frankish period (A.D. 1191-1489). Its services were multi-faceted throughout the centuries including being: the main residence of the Grand Commander and the administrative centre of the Order; the estates’ nucleus for the production of sugar and other products of the region; the domination symbol of the Hospitallers; a storage house; water features; and viewpoints. Before the erection of the current castle, a quadrangular curtain wall with supporting rooms on the west side, related to the refinement of sugar, must occupied the area. However, the keep which one can see today was built in the 1450s by Louis de Magnac, the General Commander of the Hospitallers in Cyprus. The fortress is an enormous square, well-built, three-story edifice, built from local limestone ashlar blocks. The castle is one of the most photographed monuments, adorning postcards, postage stamps, gravures and other media. Today the castle is open to the public to visit as a sightseeing.

Collection


The story of this sailing ship, christened 'Kyrenia II', began when the original of which it is a replica set sail some 2,400 years ago, and on a fateful voyage sank off the coast of Kyrenia. It was not until 1965 that a diver accidentally came across the wreck. Its timbers were carbon dated to 388 B.C. and its cargo of olives and almonds to 288 B.C. The Department of Antiquities classified it as an archaeological treasure and the American Institute of Nautical Archaeology was approached to help raise and preserve it. This was done and it now lies preserved in Kyrenia castle. 'Kyrenia II', a full-sized model of the original was built by the Hellenic Institute for the Preservation of Nautical Tradition, at Perama in 1982. It was not an easy task as traditional rather than modern tools were used and the builders wanted to replicate ancient Greek shipbuilding methods to ensure authenticity. 'Kyrenia II' was launched in 1985. The journey to the Statue of Liberty's Centenary Celebrations in 1986 was made possible in the safety of a containership.
An ocean crossing was not deemed possible but it did sail into New York. It also sailed to Greece and back even though at times it had to be towed. It also made trips to Hamburg and Expo 92 in Seville, and was on show at various locations in Greece. Its final resting place is planned to be the Museum of Nautical History at Ayia Napa in Cyprus.

Collection