The Christmas triptych stamp with a religious content emanates from an icon – triptych (1764) painted in the hagiographic workshop of the Monastery of Agios Irakleidios in Politiko and belongs to the medieval church of Our Lady (Panagia) Chryseleousa Strovolos. On the reverse side of the side panels appear the signs of the Passion (Arma Christi) while in the central part of the triptych, the two-layered representation depicts the Panagia Kykkotissa and St. Luke holding a painting and a painting bowl, which refer to the tradition that the icon of Panagia of Kykkos is his own work.
The depiction of the impressive triple masted sailing boat infers the protection of ships and seafarers by Panagia Kykkotissa or is a reminder of the ownership of the boat by the monastery. The panel on the left hand side depicts the military St. Minas the Egyptian and the panel on the right hand side depicts St. Spyridon bishop of Trimythous of Cyprus.
Source:Cyprus Post, Republic of Cyprus
Κυπριακά Ταχυδρομεία, Κυπριακή Δημοκρατία