Icon of Christ the Filanthropos (Lover of Mankind)
Icon of Christ the Filanthrpos (Christ the Lover of Mankind), from the Monastery of Saint Neophytos. The Icon was painted in 1183, with the face and hand repainted in the 15th century.Egg tempera on wood. A 12th century ornamental Cross is painted at the back of the Icon. This Icon was commissioned by Saint Neophytos to the painter of the Imperial Palace who came to the Enkleistra to create the wall-paintings of the two small chambers in his Enkleistra. Until recently the Icon was part of the original display in the Enkleistra.
Alternative Title:Εικόνα του Χριστού του Φιλάνθρωπου
Source:Holy Monastery of Saint Neophytos (Paphos, Cyprus)Ιερά Μονή Αγίου Νεοφύτου (Πάφος, Κύπρος)
Publisher:Library of Cyprus University of TechnologyDigital Heritage Research Lab of Cyprus University of Technology
Contributor :Marinos IoannidesChance Coughenour
Matthew L. Vincent