Η εκκλησία της Παναγίας Καρμιώτισσας βρίσκεται βορείως του οικισμού των Πάνω Πολεμιδιών στην Λεμεσό. Ανεγέρθη στα τέλη του 13ου – αρχές 14ου αιώνα από μοναχούς του τάγματος των Καρμηλιτών, οι οποίοι κατέφυγαν στη Κύπρο μετά την εκδίωξή τους από την Παλαιστίνη λόγω των Σταυροφοριών. Η προφορική παράδοση αναφέρει ότι στη συγκεκριμένη θέση αναπτύχθηκε ένας οικισμός λόγω της ύπαρξης ενός κεφαλόβρυσου, αντίστοιχου εκείνου της Κυθρέας. Μέσα από πετρόκτιστο αυλάκι, το νερό ή αγίασμα μεταφερόταν στο κέντρο της Λεμεσού, στην Εκκλησία της Αγίας Νάπας. Η εκκλησία είναι αφιερωμένη στην Παναγία Ελεούσα και αποτελεί μέρος ενός παλαιού μοναστηριού. Το μνημείο φέρει στοιχεία γοτθικής αρχιτεκτονικής και ανήκει στον τύπο της μονόκλιτης βασιλικής χωρίς αψίδα, επιστεγασμένη με οξυκόρυφη καμάρα και δυο παρεκκλήσια στη βόρεια πλευρά, τα οποία σήμερα απαντούν σε ερειπωμένη μορφή. Η εκκλησία πανηγυρίζει την Τρίτη του Πάσχα.

Collection


Η Δρ Μαριάννα Ευσταθίου, μέλος της ομάδας έρευνας του Μηχανισμού των Αντικυθήρων του Αριστοτελείου Πανεπιστημίου Θεσσαλονικής, επεξηγεί τον τρόπο χειρισμού και λειτουργίας του Μηχανσιμού.

Collection


Paphos castle has been a declared Ancient Monument since 1935 and a UNESCO World Heritage List monument, along with other monuments of the archaeological park of Paphos, since 1980. It is located in the harbour area of Paphos town and its main role was to control the gateway of the port and provide defence against any hostile troops . Most scholars agree upon the mid-/late-14th century as its date of erection by the Frankish ruling family of the Lusignans, despite there being no solid and reliable testimonies regarding any fortification works carried out between the earthquake of 1222 and the invasion of the Genoese in 1373. Its importance lies in the symbolic meaning as the most prominent and dominant archaeological monument of Paphos and therefore it is considered a landmark for tourists and the town itself.
The castle adorns several types of media such as photographs, postcards, postage stamps and gravures. Today the castle is open to the public to visit as a sightseeing.

Collection


The Limassol castle consists of a palimpsest of structures. On the exact place a 13th-century church was gradually transformed into the fort we see today. However, until its final form, edifices of distinct roles occupied the site. In chronological order these are a Byzantine basilica, the aforementioned church, a defensive tower (réduit), storage cellars, prison cells, a police station and finally a monument and museum in recent times. The continuous transition of the role of buildings on the site mirror the political upheaval of Cyprus' history throughout the centuries.

Collection