The Limassol castle consists of a palimpsest of structures. On the exact place a 13th-century church was gradually transformed into the fort we see today. However, until its final form, edifices of distinct roles occupied the site. In chronological order these are a Byzantine basilica, the aforementioned church, a defensive tower (réduit), storage cellars, prison cells, a police station and finally a monument and museum in recent times. The continuous transition of the role of buildings on the site mirror the political upheaval of Cyprus' history throughout the centuries.

Appendix

Photograph of the Interior of Limassol Castle
Photograph of Limassol Medieval Castle / Museum
Photograph of Gothic Hall at Lemesos Castle
Photograph of Limassol Medieval Castle
Photograph of Limassol Medieval Castle by night
Photograph of Medieval Castle at Eirinis Street
Photograph of Medieval Castle at Eirinis Street
Photograph of Medieval Castle at Eirinis Street (1930)
Photograph of Medieval Castle at Eirinis Street (1930)
Photograph of Medieval Castle at Eirinis Street (1960)
Photograph of Medieval Castle at Eirinis Street (1950)
Photograph of Medieval Castle at Eirinis Street (1980)
Photograph of Makarios Archbishop of Cyprus visit the Medival Castle (1964)
Photograph of Flagstaff at Medieval Castle for the crown of Queen Elizabeth of England (1953)
Photograph of Medieval Castle at Eirinis Street (2000)

Collection