The best-known and richest monastery of Cyprus, Kykkos Monastery was founded in 1100 and dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It possesses one of three surviving icons ascribed to Saint Luke. It is covered in silver gilt, enclosed in a shrine of tortoise shell and mother of-pearl, and stands in front of the iconostasis. The museum is an integral part of the monastery and houses a priceless collection of icons, consecrated vessels, manuscripts and Cypriot antiquities.
The first President of Cyprus, Archbishop Makarios III served as a novice here. At his wish, he was buried at Throni, a scenic location 3 km west of the monastery.
Annual religious fairs (panigiria) are held at Kykko on 15 August and 8 September.

Collection


The best-known and richest monastery of Cyprus, Kykkos Monastery was founded in 1100 and dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It possesses one of three surviving icons ascribed to Saint Luke. It is covered in silver gilt, enclosed in a shrine of tortoise shell and mother of-pearl, and stands in front of the iconostasis. The museum is an integral part of the monastery and houses a priceless collection of icons, consecrated vessels, manuscripts and Cypriot antiquities.
The first President of Cyprus, Archbishop Makarios III served as a novice here. At his wish, he was buried at Throni, a scenic location 3 km west of the monastery.
Annual religious fairs (panigiria) are held at Kykko on 15 August and 8 September.

Collection


The best-known and richest monastery of Cyprus, Kykkos Monastery was founded in 1100 and dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It possesses one of three surviving icons ascribed to Saint Luke. It is covered in silver gilt, enclosed in a shrine of tortoise shell and mother of-pearl, and stands in front of the iconostasis. The museum is an integral part of the monastery and houses a priceless collection of icons, consecrated vessels, manuscripts and Cypriot antiquities.
The first President of Cyprus, Archbishop Makarios III served as a novice here. At his wish, he was buried at Throni, a scenic location 3 km west of the monastery.
Annual religious fairs (panigiria) are held at Kykko on 15 August and 8 September.

Collection


Set in beautiful surroundings, the Monastery of Chrysorrogiatissa is dedicated to ‘Our Lady of the Golden Pomegranate’. It was founded in 1152 by monk Ignatios who found a miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary off the shore of Pafos. Legend has it that it was thrown into the sea in Asia Minor during the iconoclastic period and drifted by the waves to Pafos. The present building dates to 1770. An impressive religious ceremony is held here on 15 August, on the occasion of Mother’s of God Dormition Day. The monastery Icon Depository includes an important collection of icons, religious objects and artifacts. The monastery’s old winery produces some of the best vintage wines on the island.

Collection


Heraklidiou, the son of a pagan priest, was ordained Bishop of Tamassos by Saints Paul and Barnabas. He was martyred at the age of 60 and buried in the cave where he had lived and from where he preached the Gospel. In 400 AD a church was built over his grave.
The monastery was destroyed and rebuilt several times. Today’s buildings date back to 1773 when Archbishop Chrysanthos restored the church and convent cells. The saint’s relics are kept inside the church. Today the monastery functions as a convent.

Collection


Agia Moni Monastery is linked to the very origins of monasticism in Cyprus. According to tradition, the monastery was founded around 300 AD by Agios Nicolas and Agios Eutychios, as a place of prayer and contemplation. A sacred relic which had been given to Agios Nicolas and a piece of the cloak of the Virgin Mary were kept at the monastery until 1754.

Collection